- 1 1/2 pounds Spanish mackerel fillet, cut into thirds
- 2 tablespoons Emeril's Original Essence, recipe follows
- 3 tablespoons Spanish olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Juice of 1 orange
Liberally season the flesh side of the mackerel with the Essence.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a 12-inch fry pan over medium-high heat. Add the mackerel, seasoned side down. Season the skin with the salt and cook for 3 minutes. Flip the fish to the other side and add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, the yellow onion, parsley, and orange juice. Turn off the heat and let sit for 3 minutes.
Serve the fish hot with crusty bread.
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William Morrow, 1993.