Flambeed Bananas and Rice Pudding in Individual Crispy Tortilla Bowls
- 1 quart milk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons uncooked long-grain white rice
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 9 tablespoons butter, cubed into tablespoons
- 6 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Cinnamon sugar (1 tablespoon sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 bananas, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons banana liqueur
In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine the milk, rice, and salt. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender. In a mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the sugar, the egg yolks, vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and nutmeg. When the rice is done, stir the sugar and egg mixture into the rice pot. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes, or until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and let cool. Mix together 1/2 cup cream, the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, and the rum, in a mixing bowl. Using a hand-held mixer, beat until soft peaks form. Fold in the cooled rice mixture. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Make tortilla baskets: Heat a lightly buttered saute pan, add 1 tortilla, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. When tortilla is hot, flip over and sprinkle the other side with cinnamon sugar. Have ready 2 cups or small bowls. Remove the tortilla and quickly drape over the cup, placing the second cup over the tortilla to shape into a basket. Repeat method for the remaining tortillas. Set aside until ready to assemble.
In a saute pan, melt the remaining butter. Stir in the brown sugar, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the remaining cinnamon and bananas. Saute for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and add the liqueur. Place the pan back over the heat and carefully flame the liqueur. Shaking the pan constantly, cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of cream and remove from the heat. Spoon the rice pudding into the tortilla bowls. Top with the bananas. Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon and serve.