Honduran Ceviche De Corvina
- 2 pounds fresh sea bass or other firm white flesh fish fillets
- 1 1/4 cups fresh lime juice, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 tablespoons sliced scallion
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Lettuce leaves, for serving, optional
Cut the fish into 1/2-inch dice and place into a large glass or other nonreactive bowl. Add 1 cup of the lime juice, the orange juice, coconut milk, jalapenos, red bell pepper, and red onion and stir gently to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or until flesh has turned opaque and the flesh is flaky and tender.
To serve the ceviche, pour the liquid off the fish and vegetables and discard liquid. Toss the fish and vegetables with the remaining lime juice, tomato, cilantro, scallion, chives, olive oil and salt. Serve in chilled glass bowls or over leaves of crisp lettuce, if using, garnished with cilantro sprigs.