Lobster Spring Rolls with a Citrus-Chili Dipping Sauce
- 2 (1 1/2-pound) lobsters
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 small red Thai chiles, seeded and diced
- 1/2 pound Napa cabbage, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup diagonally sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 16 spring roll wrappers
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Citrus-Chile Dipping sauce, recipe follows
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
CITRUS-CHILI DIPPING SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 6 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
Remove the tail and claw meat and dice into 1/2-inch pieces and set aside. Discard the body and shells.
Heat the sesame oil in a wok over high heat just until smoking. Add the ginger, garlic, and chiles and stir-fry for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the diced lobster meat and cook for 1 minute, or until partially cooked. Turn the heat off under the wok and add the cabbage, carrots, green onions, and cilantro, tossing until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Spread the lobster mixture onto a small baking sheet and chill for 30 minutes. Place filling mixture in a fine-meshed sieve and drain off any excess liquid. Set aside.
Whisk together the egg and water in a small bowl. Set aside. Place a spring roll wrapper on a clean work surface, keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. Place 1/4 cup of the lobster mixture on each wrapper and fold in each side. Paint the edges with the egg wash and roll up tightly. Use additional egg wash to seal the wrapper closed, if needed. Set aside and cover. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
Fill a wok or deep pot halfway with peanut oil and heat to 360 degrees F. Using a slotted spoon, drop the spring rolls, one by one, into the pot. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan. Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on a paper towel-lined platter.
Once the spring rolls have cooled slightly, cut them in half on the diagonal and serve warm with Citrus-Chili Dipping sauce. Garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs.
Combine the chili garlic sauce, mirin, 5 tablespoons of the pineapple juice, orange juice, lime juice, and orange zest in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Whisk together the remaining tablespoon of pineapple juice and the cornstarch in a small bowl. When sauce begins to boil, add the cornstarch mixture, whisking to combine. Allow sauce to boil for 1 minute, or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and whisk in the sesame oil.
Cool sauce to room temperature and serve with Lobster Spring Rolls.
Yield: 1/2 cup