Mr. John's Meatloaf
EMERIL'S ORIGINAL ESSENCE:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 8 ounces ground pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces fresh chorizo or Andouille sausage (not smoked)
- 1/2 cup bottled chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
For the Emeril's original essence: Combine all the ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
For the meatloaf: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine beef, pork, vegetable mixture, breadcrumbs, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1 tablespoon Emeril's Original Essence. In a separate bowl, combine eggs and cream; pour over meat mixture. Gently mix to combine (do not overmix).
Place half the meat mixture on prepared baking sheet; form into a 9-by-4-inch loaf. Using a paring knife, remove casing from chorizo, keeping the shape intact. Place chorizo lengthwise down center of loaf. Cover with rest of meat mixture, enclosing chorizo and patting to adhere.
In a small bowl, combine chili sauce, dark brown sugar, and Worcestershire and stir to blend. Brush over meatloaf. Bake, basting occasionally with pan juices, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of loaf registers 160 degrees, about 1 hour. Let rest 15 minutes before serving.