Orange, Currant, and Pine Nut Quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well under cool running water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onion or shallots (small dice)
- 1/2 cup diced carrots (small dice)
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint or chopped fresh parsley
Combine the water, quinoa, olive oil, red onion, carrots, currants, orange zest, salt, and white pepper in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cover and cook until the quinoa is tender and has absorbed the liquid, 12 to 15 minutes.
Remove the quinoa from the heat and allow the mixture to steam for 5 minutes, then fold in the pine nuts, and mint, and fluff with a fork. Serve hot.