Pan-Roasted Asparagus with Shiitake Mushrooms and Cherry Tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, sliced crosswise into rings
- 1 pound asparagus, woody portion of spears removed
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, wiped clean, stemmed and quartered
- 2 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, if desired (oven optional).
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large oven-proof saute pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the shallot and cook for 30 seconds. Add the asparagus and cook for 3 minutes. Push the asparagus to one side of the pan, and add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and the shiitake mushrooms. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, allowing the mushrooms to brown. Add the tomatoes and thyme, and cook for another 2 minutes, tossing the ingredients together to combine.
If roasting in the oven, transfer the pan to the oven and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the asparagus is crisp-tender, if desired
Transfer the asparagus mixture to a serving platter, garnish with the cheese, and serve immediately.