Pappardelle with Sweet and Hot Sausage Ragu
- 1/4 pound pancetta, cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 large red onion, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound fresh pappardelle pasta
- Freshly grated Parmesan, for garnish
Put the pancetta and olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, and cook until pancetta is rendered, about 5 minutes. Add both sausages, break up the sausage with a wooden spoon, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until sausage is cooked through. Add the red onion, garlic, basil, parsley, tomatoes, and wine. Cook for 30 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste.
In a large pot of boiling salted water, add pappardelle and cook until al dente (just a couple minutes for fresh pasta.) Drain well and serve with sauce over top. Garnish with basil and Parmesan.