Pickled Beet Salad over Frisee
- 2 pounds baby beets; 1 bunch red, 1 bunch yellow, 1 bunch candy cane beets, peeled and trimmed
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups verjus
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 head frisee, washed and dried
- 2 Belgian endives, leaves pulled apart
- 1 head radicchio, leaves pulled apart
- Chives, for garnish
- 2/3 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
For the salad: In a small saucepan add the red beets, cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover saucepan and simmer until just tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat with the golden beets and the carrots, 15 to 20 minutes for the beets and 10 to 15 minutes for the carrots. Drain each vegetable and reserve separately. Set aside to cool. Quarter the beets. Place each vegetable including the radishes in its own nonreactive container.
Combine the coriander and mustard seeds, allspice, cloves, cardamom, bay leaves, thyme, the vinegar, verjus, sugar and salt with the water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Pour the hot brine over each vegetable, dividing the brine equally. Let cool completely before covering. Refrigerate overnight.
For dressing: Combine the blue cheese, lemon juice, Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt and black pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Using the back of a fork, mash the mixture together to form a thick paste. Add the buttermilk and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
For serving: Arrange frisee, endives and radicchio on platter and top with pickled vegetables. Garnish with chives and drizzle dressing over salad.