Roasted Flounder Stuffed with a Shrimp and Cornbread Dressing
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 pound rock shrimp
- Cayenne or Essence, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 4 cups left-over cornbread crumbs
- 1 to 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 (6-ounce) flounder fillets, skin removed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Steamed Haricots Verts, recipe follows
EMERIL'S ESSENCE CREOLE SEASONING (ALSO REFERRED TO AS BAYOU BLAST):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
STEAMED HARICOTS VERTS:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced thin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound haricots verts, cleaned
- 1/4 cup water
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of the oil. When the oil is hot add the onions and celery. Season with salt and cayenne. Continue to saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the shrimp. Season with salt and cayenne. Saute for 3 minutes, or until almost cooked through. Add lemon zest. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
In a mixing bowl, combine the shrimp mixture, garlic and cornbread. Mix well. Stir in the chicken stock. Let the dressing sit for 20 minutes. If the dressing is too dry add more liquid. Season the flounder with the remaining olive oil, salt and cayenne. Place the fish, skin side up, on a parchment paper lined sheet pan. Place 1 cup of the dressing on half of each fillet. Fold the fillets in half over the dressing and press down lightly to secure. Place the fish in the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and garnish with parsley. Serve with Steamed Haricots Verts.
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, Published by William Morrow, 1993.
Heat a large saute pan. When the saute pan is hot, add the olive oil. Add the shallots and saute until soft, about 3 or 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the green beans and saute for 2 minutes. Add the water. Cook for 4 more minutes, or until beans are al dente. Season with salt and pepper.
Yield: 4 servings