Skate Wings with Grenoble Sauce
- 8 skate wings, (3 to 4 ounces each) cleaned
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 lemons. juiced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 stick butter, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 cups assorted vegetables, blanched if needed (such as haricots verts, baby carrots, halved, thinly sliced squash, thinly sliced zucchini, thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced red onions, etc,)
In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, saute the skate for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove the fish from the pan and set aside.
Add the shallots and capers. Season with pepper. Saute for 1 minute. Add the lemon juice and wine. Bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the liquid reduces by half, about 6 to 8 minutes. Whisk in the butter, a cube at a time. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in 1 tablespoon of parsley.
Add the fish back into the sauce and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
In another saute pan, heat the remaining tablespoon of the oil. When the oil is hot, add the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.