Fennel, Apricot, and Tomato Salad
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 14 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Finely grated zest and freshly squeezed juice of 1 lime
- 1 12 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 6 fresh mint leaves, julienned
- Coarse sea salt or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small fennel bulbs, trimmed and thinly sliced lengthwise (preferably on a mandolin)
- 2 dried apricots or 2 pitted fresh apricots, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- the saffron threads, and set the liquid aside.
In a small pot on the stove, or in a small bowl in the microwave, warm 2 tablespoons water until hot. Remove water from the heat, add the saffron, and let infuse until the water turns bright yellow, about 10 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, discard
Whisk together the olive oil, lime zest and juice, vinegar, mint leaves, and saffron water. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper, to taste.
In a salad bowl, toss the fennel, apricots, and tomatoes together with the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper, to taste.