Figgy Holiday Quick Bread
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or 1 stick butter, melted, plus more for greasing pans
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dried figs or dates
- 2 tablespoons diced candied orange peel
- 3/4 cup toasted and chopped pecans
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 apple or pear, unpeeled, shredded and squeezed dry (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Special equipment: Three 6-by-3-inch mini loaf pans
1. For the bread: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil three 6-by-3-inch mini loaf pans.
2. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, salt, figs, candied orange and pecans in a large bowl. Whisk together the eggs, oil, yogurt, vanilla and shredded apple in a medium bowl. Fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.
3. Divide the batter among the prepared pans and tap lightly to settle. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes in the pans on a rack, then turn out onto the rack to cool completely, about 30 more minutes.
4. For the glaze: Whisk together the confectioners' sugar, bourbon, and milk. Pour over the cooled breads and let set at room temperature, 15 to 20 minutes. Return the breads to the clean loaf pans. Wrap if giving as gifts.
Copyright 2011 Cooking Channel, LLC. All rights reserved.