Filipino "Adobo"-Style Chicken
- 8 whole chicken legs (about 4 pounds), cut into drumstick and thigh sections
- 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon whole black peppercorns, crushed lightly
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Chopped scallions, for garnish
- Accompaniment: Cooked rice
In a large kettle combine the chicken, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, and 1 cup water, bring the mixture to a boil, and simmer it, covered, for 20 minutes. Add the soy sauce and simmer the mixture, covered, for 20 minutes. Transfer the chicken with tongs to a plate and boil the liquid for 10 minutes, or until it is reduced to about 1 cup. Let the sauce cool, remove the bay leaves, and skim the fat from the surface.
In a large skillet heat the oil over high heat until it is hot but not smoking and in it saute the chicken, patted dry, in batches, turning it, for 5 minutes, or until it is browned well. Transfer the chicken to a rimmed platter, pour the sauce, heated, over it, and serve the chicken with the rice.