Fire Breathing Dragon Roll
- 3 ounces ahi tuna, minced
- 6 tablespoons Ghost Pepper Sauce, plus more for drizzling, recipe follows
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 3 ounces lump crabmeat
- 1/3 teaspoon habanero powder, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 habanero peppers, sliced
- 2 pieces 21/25 shrimp tempura (you can find at any Asian market), deep-fried
- 7 ounces Sushi Rice, recipe follows
- 1 sheet seaweed paper (nori)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Micro cilantro, for garnish
- 1 teaspoon pop rock candy, for garnish
GHOST PEPPER SAUCE:
- 5 habanero peppers, cut into small pieces
- 2 ghost chile peppers, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Frank's
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons Korean chili paste
- 2 tablespoons sambal olek chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ichimi (Japanese chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon spicy sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fried shallots
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 7 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sushi rice
Mix the tuna with 3 tablespoons Ghost Pepper Sauce and the mayonnaise. In a separate bowl, mix the crabmeat with the remaining 3 tablespoons Ghost Pepper Sauce, habanero powder and sliced habanero peppers.
Wet your hands with water, and then press the Sushi Rice onto the seaweed paper evenly, about 1/4-inch thick. Sprinkle the sesame seeds and some habanero powder over the rice. Flip over so the seaweed paper is facing up. Add the tuna mixture and shrimp tempura down the center of the seaweed. Place the seaweed paper onto a bamboo sushi mat and roll the seaweed paper tightly. Remove the mat and add the crab mixture on top of the roll. Place a piece of plastic film over the roll and, with the sushi mat, press it over the plastic film and roll to make certain the crab is pressed onto the roll. Remove the mat and gently remove the plastic film. Cut the roll into 8 pieces.
To serve, place the sushi roll onto a serving plate and drizzle Ghost Pepper Sauce over and around the roll. Top the roll with the micro cilantro and sprinkle the pop rock candy around the roll.
Warning: Consumption of raw or undercooked shellfish may substantially increase the risk of foodborne illness.
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
In a medium bowl, mix the habanero and ghost peppers with both the hot sauces, Sriracha, chili paste, chili sauce, chili powder, ichimi, lemon pepper seasoning, lime juice, sesame oil and shallots to create the ghost pepper sauce. Let stand for 1 hour. Then blend for 30 seconds. WARNING! Please keep in mind that these are some of the hottest chiles in the world. So handle carefully with latex gloves.
Mix the rice vinegar in a bowl with the sugar and salt.
In a steamer, cook the sushi rice with 1 cup water for 45 minutes. After your rice is done cooking, add the sushi vinegar and mix together with a wooden spoon. Let the rice cool for 10 minutes.