Fish Pakoras with Peach Chutney
- Peach Chutney
- 1 (14-ounce) can of peaches, drained and 2 tablespoons syrup reserved
- 1 green chile, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mango powder*
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons peach syrup
- * Can be found at specialty Asian and Indian markets.
Put the flour, garam masala, fenugreek, paprika, salt, and pepper into a bowl and whisk it to combine. Add the yogurt and water and mix well to make a smooth batter, the consistency of pancake batter.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, begin to dip the fish cubes into the batter and then carefully place them in the hot oil. Fry the salmon pieces until they are golden on all sides and the fish is cooked through, about 3 minutes, turning frequently. Serve the salmon with the Peach Chutney.
To make the chutney:
Put the peaches, chile, red onion, chives, cumin, mango powder, salt, and peach syrup into a blender and mix until the peaches are finely chopped. The chutney will keep in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Yield: approx. 1 cup