Food People Picks: Top 10 Pantry Items
Minimize weeknight, last-minute fuss with a well-stocked pantry. Here's what to have on-hand.
- Canned tomatoes – for pasta sauces, queso dip and soups like minestrone
- Chicken, beef or vegetable broth – used as a flavoring or soup stock
Dried pasta – keep several styles (penne, fettuccine, spaghetti)
- Canned beans – a good supply of beans (black, navy, pinto, kidney, garbanzo) goes a long way
- Canned tuna fish – for pastas, sandwiches and the exquisitely simple tuna melt
- Dried fruits – this healthy treat is used in desserts, fruit salads and trail mixes
- Olives – what can't you do with olives? Keep several varieties for pizza toppings, pasta dishes, tapenades and finger food.
- Good-quality breadcrumbs – for breading chicken, mozzarella sticks and adding a little crunch to soups
- Tomato sauce/tomato paste – ideal for homemade Ragu sauce and pizzas
- Rice – brown, white and wild rice medleys