- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces cider vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup diced stale or lightly toasted baguette bread
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper, seeded (can substitute hot sauce)
- Kosher salt
- Sliced or diced avocado, for garnish
Bring salted water to a boil in a medium pot. Cut an "x" shape on the tops and bottoms of the tomatoes. Boil the tomatoes until the skin begins to peel back, about 20 to 30 seconds. Plunge the tomatoes into a bowl of iced water to chill. Peel and seed the tomatoes, then chop them.
In a medium bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, and tomato juice. Mix well, and then add the diced bread to soak. In another bowl, combine the chopped tomato, cucumber, red pepper, onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro and jalapeno. Reserve 1/2 cup of this chopped mixture for garnish, if desired. Season, to taste, with salt.
Put all ingredients into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Serve chilled and garnish with the avocado and reserved diced vegetables, if desired.