Crostini with Sun-Dried Tomato Jam
SUN-DRIED TOMATO JAM:
- 1 (8-ounce) jar sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped, oil reserved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 baguette, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
FOR THE SUN-DRIED TOMATO JAM:
Place a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of the reserved sun-dried tomato oil, olive oil, onion, and garlic. Stir and cook until the onions are soft and beginning to brown at the edges, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the sugar, vinegar, water, chicken broth, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and continue simmering until most of the liquid is reduced and the mixture is the consistency of jam, about 5 to 10 more minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
Place the baguette slices on the baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the baguette slices with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until lightly toasted, about 8 minutes.
Place the soft goat cheese in a small bowl. Stir in the thyme.