Orange-Scented Almond and Olive Oil Muffins
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- Grated zest of 1 medium orange
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons plain low-fat (2-percent) Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Cook's Note, below)
Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
Using a hand mixer on medium speed, in a medium bowl, beat the sugar and eggs together until pale and thick, about 2 minutes. Beat in the orange zest and juice, olive oil, yogurt, vanilla, and almond extract.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose and almond flours, baking powder, and salt.
In batches, stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture until just blended. Stir in the almonds. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Bake until golden on top and a tester inserted into the center of the muffins comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 20 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes before serving.