Taleggio and Pear Panini
- 1 (1-pound) loaf ciabatta bread (or 8 slices country bread)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces Taleggio cheese or brie, sliced
- 2 large pears, apples or peaches, cored and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces arugula or spinach
Preheat the panini machine. Cut the ciabatta loaf into 4 equal pieces. Halve each piece horizontally to make 4 sandwiches. Brush the bread on both sides with olive oil and place the bottom-half of the bread slices in the panini machine in a single layer. Heat until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Continue with the remaining top slices of bread.
While the top slices of the bread are in the Panini machine, begin forming the sandwiches. Divide the cheese among the warm bread. Cover the cheese with slices of fruit. Drizzle the fruit with honey. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with a handful of arugula. Place the warmed top half of the bread over the arugula and return the competed sandwich to the panini machine for 1 to 2 minutes more to finish melting the cheese. Remove from the panini machine. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve immediately.