Golden Pork and Prawn Dumplings
- 12 ounces raw tiger prawns, shelled and deveined
- 12 ounces lean ground pork
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaohsing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large scallions, finely chopped
- 1 medium red Fresno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 30 round wonton wrappers
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
GINGER BLACK RICE VINEGAR DIPPING SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons black rice vinegar
- One 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 medium red chile, seeded and finely chopped
- Cook's Notes: Shaoshing rice wine can be found at Asian specialty markets.
You can make the dumplings ahead of time and freeze them in an air-tight container. Then cook from frozen when desired.
For the dumplings: Finely mince the prawns. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the pork, cornstarch, ginger, soy sauce, wine, rice vinegar, salt, sugar, garlic, scallions and chiles. Mix thoroughly and, with clean hands, squeeze the filling through your fingers so that all the flavors are combined well. Wash your hands and dry well.
Then place a wonton wrapper in the palm of your hand. Place a heaping teaspoon of the filling in the middle of the wrapper. Then dip your finger into a water bowl and brush around the rim of the wrapper. Fold the wonton in half, to make them half-moon shape. Press down on the edges to make sure the dumpling the sticks together well. Pleat the edges of the dumpling 4 times, pinching well to secure.
Add the oil to the wok and heat to 350 degrees F. It is hot enough when a small piece of bread turns golden brown in 15 seconds. Fry the dumplings, in batches if necessary, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes, and turn them so they do not overcook on the one side. Once cooked, drain the excess oil from the dumplings on paper towels.
For the dipping sauce: Mix the soy sauce, black rice vinegar, ginger and chiles.
Place the sauce in dipping sauce pots and serve with the dumplings. Garnish the dumplings with cilantro leaves.