Green Mango Salad with Tiger Prawns
- 2 green mangoes, peeled and julienned
- 5 perilla leaves, sliced
- 5 mint leaves, sliced
- 5 Vietnamese mint, sliced
- 5 Asian basil leaves, sliced
- 1 long red chili, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fried garlic chips
- 1 tablespoon fried red Asian shallots
- 6 cooked medium tiger prawns, peeled and deveined
- Nuoc Mam Cham Dipping Fish Sauce, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon crushed roasted peanuts
In a mixing bowl combine green mango, herbs, chilli, fried shallots, fried garlic, prawns and 3 tablespoons of nuoc mam cham dipping fish sauce. Toss well, transfer to a plate or shallow bowl and garnish with crushed peanuts.
Combine the fish sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and 1/2 cup of water in a saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir well and cook until just before boiling point is reached, then remove from the heat and allow to cool. To serve, add the garlic and chilli, then stir in the lime juice. Store tightly sealed in a jar in the fridge, for up to 5 days.
Yield: about 1 cup