Grilled Pound Cake with Macerated Berries and Syllabub
- 2 cups blackberries, rinsed
- 2 cups raspberries, rinsed
- 2 cups strawberries, rinsed, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup rose wine
- 2 tablespoons white tequila
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (or double cream, if available)
For the berries: Combine the berries, rose, tequila and lemon juice and zest in a bowl. Toss gently to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.
Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
For the syllabub: Combine the sugar, sherry, brandy, vanilla and lemon juice and zest in a small bowl and stir to dissolve. Start beating the cream with a hand whisk or an electric mixer in a large chilled bowl. Gradually add the brandy and sherry mixture, whisking constantly, until the cream is fluffy with soft peaks. Keep cold while you prepare the pound cake.
Brush both sides of the pound cake slices with the butter and sprinkle with the sugar. Grill, uncovered, over indirect medium heat until light golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Serve immediately, topped with the berries, syllabub and chopped basil, if desired.