Grilled Red Snapper with a Fresh Citrus Salad
- 2 whole fresh red snappers, gutted and cleaned
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cloves garlic
- 6 to 10 Scotch bonnet chile peppers
- 3 oranges, 1 juiced, 1 cut into segments, 1 thinly sliced
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 papaya, chopped
- 2 lemons, 1 juiced, 1 thinly sliced
- 2 limes, 1 juiced, 1 thinly sliced
- Bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 star fruit, thinly sliced, optional
Preheat the grill to high heat.
Cut 3 thin slices into both sides of each fish. Drizzle both sides of the fish with 6 tablespoons of the olive oil, sprinkle with salt and black pepper, and put 4 cloves of the garlic into each fish cavity. Grill the fish until golden and browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Lower the heat to medium, throw the Scotch bonnet peppers on the grill, close the lid and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
Combine the orange segments, mango, onions and papaya in a large bowl. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, the lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, cilantro and some salt and black pepper. Mix together, and then transfer to a serving platter.
Gently place the fish over the citrus salad. Arrange the star fruit, if using, lemon slices, lime slices, orange slices and Scotch bonnet peppers on the platter and serve.
Cook's Note: The fish eyes are considered delicacies. They taste not unlike an oyster.