Grilled Tuna Rolls
- 2 tablespoons sweet white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable, sunflower, or rice bran oil
- 1 tablespoon light agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Pinch fine salt
- 2 1/2-inch-thick tuna steaks or 1 large tuna steak, cut in half horizontally
- 2 tablespoons sesameseeds, divided
- 4 hot dog buns
- 1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated
- 1/4 cup Shallot & Cilantro Vinaigrette,for serving
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
SHALLOT & CILANTRO VINAIGRETTE:
Preheat the grill or grill pan over high heat. Whisk together the miso, oil, agave, water, and rice wine vinegar. Season to taste with salt. Rub the tuna steaks all over with the mixture and place on the grill. Evenly sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the sesame seeds on thefish. Grill on the first side for 3 minutes, flip, and sprinkle the cooked sides with the remaining sesame seeds. Grill for an additional 3 minutes and then remove to a plate. I like the tuna to be just cooked through, but feel free to grill for less time if you prefer it medium or even rare.
To serve, grill or toast the buns. Lay a few lettuce leaves on the bottom half of each bun. Cut the tuna into 1/2-inch slices across the grain and evenly distribute on the lettuce. Drizzle each sandwich with a tablespoon of the vinaigrette, being sure to get plenty of sliced shallots in each spoonful, and sprinkle with the cilantro leaves. Close each sandwich with the top halves of the buns and serve with lots of napkins.
Whisk the vinegar, agave, and soy sauce together. While whisking,
drizzle in the vegetable oil. Add the hot pepper sesame oil to taste
to stir it well before serving.
Recipe courtesy of My Father's Daughter by Gwyneth Paltrow.