Healthy Seven Layer Dip
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno chile, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon no-salt-added chili powder
- 1 can (15-ounce) no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, pitted and peeled
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup (from 2 ears) fresh corn kernels
- 1 large red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 ounce reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 ounces low-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
In large bowl, combine tomatoes, green onion, garlic, jalapeno, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
In 8-inch skillet, heat oil on medium. Add onion; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until golden, stirring. Add chili powder; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; add beans and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Mash until almost smooth.
In bowl, with fork, mash avocado, cilantro, remaining lime juice, and 1/8 teaspoon salt until almost smooth.
In 1 1/2-quart straight-sided dish, spread bean mixture in even layer. Top with corn and pepper. Spread sour cream and then the salsa over vegetables. Dollop avocado mixture over salsa; spread into even layer. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours. Serve with baked tortilla chips.
Nutritional Information (per 1/2-cup serving):
Calories 100 Total Fat 4g Saturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 6mg Sodium 135mg Total Carbohydrate 13g Dietary Fiber 4g Sugars -- Protein 4g Calcium --
1/4 cup of dip with 1/2 ounce baked tortilla chips: 120 calories