Herb and Chickpea Salad
- 1 pita bread pocket
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 good handfuls fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup celery leaves
- 1 sprig fresh oregano leaves
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 English cucumber, stripped, seeded and cut in 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced in half moon slices
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 (19-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Put the parsley, mint leaves, celery leaves, and oregano in a bowl. In another bowl, add the tomato, cucumber, and onion. Add the 4 tablespoons oil, salt to taste, and lemon juice. Toss together to coat evenly.
Just before serving, add the herbs to the vegetable bowl with the chickpeas. Toss together, taste and adjust seasoning. Add the toasted pita bread that you crunch into your hands to make smaller pieces, and serve.
Serves: 4; Calories: 298; Total Fat: 15 grams; Saturated Fat: 2 grams; Protein: 8 grams; Total carbohydrates: 33 grams; Sugar: 3 grams; Fiber: 6 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 246 milligrams