Herb Radicchio Salad with French Lentils
- 1 cup puy (French) lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces slab bacon, skin removed and cut into 1/2-inch lardons
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 large head radicchio, quartered, cored and thinly sliced (about 8 ounces)
- 3 cups roughly chopped mixed fresh parsley, chives, mint, cilantro, dill or basil
- 5 teaspoons champagne vinegar
1. Combine the lentils, broth and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils are al dente and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook the bacon lardons in a large, dry skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 25 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, leaving the bacon fat in the skillet.
3. Add the shallots to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the lentils and the remaining broth to the skillet and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until the broth is completely absorbed, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool 10 minutes.