Individual Sweet Corn Custards
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 1 yolk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen sweet yellow corn (thawed if frozen)
- Bacon crumbles and snipped chives, for garnish
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or with a hand mixer), add the sugar and eggs and beat until light and frothy, approximately 3 minutes. Add the flour, salt and baking powder and beat for an additional 3 minutes, until the mixture is airy and foamy. Fold in the heavy cream and milk until combined.
Stir the corn and melted butter together and divide evenly among the ramekins. Pour the batter over the corn mixture, filling each dish almost to the top. Bake the custards for 60 to 70 minutes, rotating the pan once, until the filling is set and the top is golden brown. Remove the ramekins to a wire rack and cool for at least 15 to 20 minutes before serving, to allow custard to firm up. Garnish each dish with bacon crumbles and snipped chives.