Shrimp and Scallop Easy Paella
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded, ribbed and thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeded, ribbed and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Spanish saffron, pistils only
- 4 links Spanish dry-cured chorizo (about 6 ounces), sliced
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with chiles
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 pounds raw, peeled large shrimp
- 1 pound sea scallops
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley leaves
- Lemon wedges, for decoration
In a medium saucepan, heat the chicken stock until boiling.
In a separate large saucepan or paella pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil and add the onion, the garlic, the peppers, the saffron and the chorizo. Cook for 6 minutes or until vegetables are soft and chorizo is browned.
Stir in the rice, tomatoes and tomato paste until well mixed and cook for 5 minutes. Add the boiling chicken stock little by little, stirring each addition constantly until the stock is almost absorbed.
Cover the paella pan with aluminum foil, and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until rice is tender. Add the shrimp and the scallops and let cook covered for 5 to 7 minutes more.
Decorate with the chopped parsley and lemon wedges.