- 2 pounds chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
- 2 pounds large shrimp, shelled, deveined and tail off
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1 pound smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 3 cups instant white rice
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
In a medium saucepan, add the chicken thighs and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes. Strain the chicken in a colander, reserving the stock for later use. Let the chicken cool completely. Remove all the meat from the bones and discard the skin and bones.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine the chicken meat, shrimp, sweet sausage, smoked sausage, rice, carrots, celery, onion, seasoning salt, garlic powder, chili flakes and 2 quarts of the reserved chicken stock. Pour the mixture into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Cover and bake until the rice and shrimp are cooked through, about 25 minutes.