Japanese Yellowtail with Ginger Roasted Shiitake Mushrooms and Root Beer Hoisin Vinaigrette
- 16 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-ounce fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Root Beer Hoisin vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup root beer, flat
- 1 tablespoon hoisin
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin, boiled 10 seconds and cooled
- 1 teaspoon minced shallots
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 4 (5-ounce) Japanese yellowtail fillets
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
To make the mushrooms, toss caps with olive oil, ginger, and salt, to taste. Place the mushrooms in a roasting pan and roast in the oven for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the mushrooms from pan, cool, add soy sauce, and set aside.
In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the root beer, hoisin, vinegar, mirin, and shallots. Using a wire whisk, beat while slowly adding the oil a thin stream. Set aside.
To prepare the fish, preheat a saute pan and add the peanut oil. Season the fish with salt and pepper and place in the pan. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until fillet just becomes opaque. Set aside and keep warm.