Jerk Rubbed Rib-Eye with Green Papaya Relish
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 green onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 to 1 habanero or Scotch bonnet chile, coarsely chopped
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 (1-pound, 2-inch thick) boneless rib-eye steaks
- 1 recipe Green Papaya Relish, recipe follows
Combine red and green onion, habanero, ginger, garlic, thyme, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and oil in a food processor and process to a thin paste.
Heat the grill or grill pan to high.
Remove the steaks from the refrigerator 20 minutes before grilling. Season rib-eye on both sides with salt and pepper. Rub both sides of each steak with the wet rub and place on the grill. Grill until golden brown and the rub has formed a crust, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip the steak over, reduce the heat to medium. Baste steaks with the rub and continue cooking to medium-rare doneness. Remove the steaks from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Top the slices with some of the relish.
Stir together the honey, lime juice, vinegar and sugar until the sugar is dissolved in a medium bowl. Add the papaya, cucumber, bell pepper, cilantro and mint and mix until combined, season with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before serving.