- 1/3 cup / 80 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons shoyu, tamari, or soy sauce
- 3 1/2 lightly packed cups / 3.5 oz / 100 g chopped kale, stems trimmed, large ribs removed
- 1 1/2 cups / 3 oz / 85 g unsweetened large-flake coconut
- 2 cups / 9 oz / 255 g cooked farro or other whole grain (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350degreesF / 180degreesC with two racks in the top third of the oven.
Spread the kale evenly across two baking sheets. Bake for 12 to 18 minutes, until the coconut is deeply golden brown, tossing once or twice along the way. If the kale mixture on the top baking sheet begins to get too browned, move it to the lower rack.
Remove from the oven and transfer the kale mixture to a medium bowl. Taste. If you feel it needs a bit more dressing, add some and toss. Place the farro on a serving platter and top with the tossed kale. Serve warm.
Photograph by Heidi Swanson (C) 2011