Kane'ohe He'e Salad
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- One 2-pound octopus, cleaned and pounded to tenderize
- 2 chile de arbol peppers
- 1 head garlic, halved across the equator
- 1 Meyer lemon, halved across the equator
- 1 yellow onion, halved across the equator
- 1 cup baby romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
- 1 cup tatsoi (Asian dark-leafed mustard salad green)
- 1 ounce smoked pork, thinly sliced
- 1 Japanese cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Flaxseed, for garnish
- Fried leeks, for garnish
For the octopus: Heat a deep heavy pot until ripping hot. Add the olive oil, and when it just begins to smoke (wispy tendrils, not seven-alarm, billowing smoke), carefully, but quickly add the octopus. Add the chiles, garlic, lemon and onion. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Gently simmer until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove the octopus, and then strain out the liquid, discarding the solids.
Preheat a grill or wood-burning grill to high heat.
For the salad: Mix together the octopus legs, lettuce, tatsoi, pork, cucumber, garlic and onions in a large bowl. Season with oil, vinegar and salt and black pepper. Garnish with flaxseed and fried leeks.