Kick Ass Rice
- 3 1/3 cups Japanese sushi rice
- 3 cups dashi or water
- 1/3 cup sake
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons hondashi
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 10 eggs
- 1/3 bunch fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 bunch fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 bunch fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 bunch scallions, finely chopped
Wash the rice to remove all the starch. Combine with the dashi or water, sake, butter, hondashi, garlic, ginger and salt in a rice cooker. Cook for about 30 minutes.
Heat water to 149 degrees F in an immersion circulator to keep the temperature constant. Poach the eggs for 45 minutes, and then remove from the water.
Mix together the basil, cilantro, mint and scallions. Scoop the rice into bowls and garnish with the herbs and eggs.