King Prawns Sauteed in Coconut Milk
- 1 pound 2 ounces large tiger prawns ( shrimp)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 red Asian shallots, minced
- 9 fluid ounces/1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 coriander sprigs for garnish
- 1 long red chilli, julienned
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
In a small bowl, combine the sugar and fish sauce and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Divide the fish sauce mixture into 2 halves, and use 1/2 of the mixture to marinate the prawns for 10 minutes.
Wipe the frying pan clean, return the pan to medium-high heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the garlic and shallots; fry for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the coconut milk and reserved fish sauce mixture, and stir.