Shrimp in Mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- Pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons grainy Dijon mustard
- About 1 cup/250 ml grapeseed, vegetable, canola, or peanut oil
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Pinch white pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for frying
- 24 shrimp, peeled, but with tail intact
Whisk together the egg yolk, salt, mustard, and vinegar in a roomy bowl. To add the oil, start whisking the yolk mixture and let the oil fall from the spout, drop by drop, until you have achieved a thick, velvety mayonnaise. Taste it. Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper until the balance is to your liking.
Heat the olive oil in a saute pan. Fry the shrimp until just cooked through and still juicy. Arrange the shrimp on a platter with the mayonnaise in a dish alongside, for dipping.