Vol au Vents
- 1 cup/250 ml chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion or large shallot, minced
- 4 ounces/110 g mushrooms, trimmed and chopped (we used oyster, and ripped them)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- A splash of white wine (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, diced
- 1/4 cup/60 ml creme fraiche
- 1 to 2 teaspoons mustard
- Salt and pepper
- A few handfuls of chopped fresh parsley
- 6 vol au vent shells
Put the stock and bay leaf in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and turn off the heat.
Melt the butter in a saute pan and fry the onions for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until shrunken, dark and golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle over the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine and cook until it disappears. Pour over the stock, add the chicken and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Stir in the creme fraiche and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley.
Spoon the chicken mixture into the vol au vent shells and serve.