Wine Jelly with Grapes
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup/200 g sugar
- 2 cups/500 ml dry white or sparkling wine
- About 15 ounces/420 g small, seedless red and green grapes
- 3/4 cup/175 ml heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or Cognac
Stir the gelatin into 2 tablespoons of water, and set aside to soften. Put the sugar and wine in a saucepan, and heat to dissolve the sugar. Do not boil. Remove the wine from the heat and whisk in the gelatin until completely dissolved. Cool.
Arrange the grapes in 6 ramekins or tea cups. Pour over the wine mixture. Cover, and chill several hours to set. To serve, run a knife around the edge of the molds and dip the bottoms into hot water for a few seconds, then invert onto serving plates.
In a bowl, whip the heavy cream with the sugar and flavoring to serve alongside.