Leeks with Lemon and Dill
- 4 medium leeks (about 2 pounds)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced at an angle
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon; plus wedges, for serving
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
Trim the ends and dark green tops from the leeks and discard. Cut the leeks in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Immerse the leeks in a bowl of cold water, swish to remove any grit and lift the leeks out into a colander. Clean the bowl, change the water and repeat until the water remains clear. You should have 6 cups leeks.
Add the leeks, carrots, oil and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper to a high-sided medium skillet over medium heat and bring to a steady sizzle, stirring occasionally. Stir in 2 tablespoons water, bring to a simmer and cover. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
Copyright 2013 Cooking Channel, LLC. All rights reserved.