Lime Beef Salad
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from about 3 limes)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces green cabbage, shredded as thin as possible
- 1 plum tomato, halved lengthwise and sliced into thin half-moons
- 1 mango (find one that is slightly underripe and still firm), peeled, pitted, and cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1 red Fresno chile or jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
2. To make the salad: Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and toss well. Cover and chill.
3. To make the beef: Put the water, ginger, garlic, and salt in a small pot and bring to a boil over high heat, then turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes while you pound the beef.
4. Cut the beef into thin slices: you should get about 8. One at a time, place each slice between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound with the bottom of a small saucepan or a rolling pin until paper-thin. Transfer to a plate.
5. Remove the chilled vinaigrette from the refrigerator. Using chopsticks or tongs, gently drop a few slices of beef into the simmering water and cook for just 10 seconds, or even less if you like your beef a little on the rare side. Remove the beef slices and immediately drop into the chilled vinaigrette. Repeat with the remaining beef slices.