Low-Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup trans-fat free vegetable oil spread (60- to-70-percent oil)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats, uncooked
- 1 cup bittersweet (62-percent cacao) or semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, with the mixer on medium-low speed, beat the sugars and vegetable spread until well blended, occasionally scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the egg, egg white and vanilla, and beat until smooth. Beat in the flour, baking soda and salt until mixed.
With a wooden spoon, stir in the oats and chocolate chips until well combined. Drop the dough by rounded measuring tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart on ungreased large cookie sheets. Bake until golden, 12 to 13 minutes. Bake in batches if needed. With a wide, metal spatula, transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Each cookie: about 80 calories, 1 g protein, 11 g carbohydrate, 4 g total fat (1 g saturated), 4 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 1 g fiber