Low-Fat Creamy Mushroom Cavatappi
- 12 ounces cavatappi (corkscrew-shaped tube pasta; sub: penne)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (4 to 6 ounces)
- One 8-ounce package sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups 1-percent milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus additional for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- One 10-ounce package frozen peas
- 8 ounces deli-sliced ham, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
Bring a large covered saucepot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high and stir in the mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are golden and most of the liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the mushroom mixture to a small bowl.
In a 2-cup liquid measuring cup, whisk the cornstarch into the milk. Add to the same skillet and heat to boiling over medium heat, whisking frequently. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Remove the skillet from the heat and whisk in the Parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper.
Place the peas in a colander. Pour the pasta over the peas. Drain and return to the saucepot. Stir in the mushroom mixture, cheese sauce and ham; toss to coat. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan.
Each 1 1/2 cup serving: about 400 calories, 23 g protein, 57 g carbohydrate, 8 g total fat (3 g saturated), 28 mg cholesterol, 880 mg sodium, 5 g fiber
Make it a Drop 5 Meal by adding:
3 cups mixed greens tossed with 100 calories of dressing. 520 complete meal calories.