Lucky Life Stir Fry
- 1 cup cold vegetable stock
- 1 to 2 tablespoons oyster sauce or mushroom sauce
- 1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon clear rice vinegar or cider vinegar
- Pinch salt
- Pinch sugar
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red Fresno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, cut into a 2-inch julienne
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into a julienne
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and cut into a julienne
- 1 large handful snow peas
- 2 cups thinly shredded red cabbage
- 1 small handful shredded kale
- 3 large fresh shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large ripe beef tomato, sliced into wedges or sliced tinned water chestnuts
- 1 large handful bean sprouts
- 1 scallion, finely sliced on the angle
Before cooking, make sure that all vegetables are prepped and ready to go.
For the sauce: In a small jug add the stock, oyster sauce, cornstarch, soy sauce, vinegar, salt and sugar. Mix well.
For the stir-fry: Heat a wok over high heat and as the wok starts to smoke, add the oil. Add the ginger, garlic and chiles, and stir for a second. Add the carrots, peppers and snow peas, then stir-fry for a minute. Toss in the cabbage, kale, mushrooms and tomatoes. Stir-fry for 2 minutes more, adding a splash of water to help the vegetables cook.
Pour the sauce over vegetables in the wok and toss just until the sauce begins to thicken and bubble and becomes glossy. Remove from the heat and toss in the bean sprouts and garnish with scallions. Mix well and serve immediately.