Mama Lachute's Blackberry Dumplings
- For the blackberry topping:
- 3 pints fresh blackberries, rinsed well and drained
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 cups water, divided
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter
- For the dumpling dough:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Scant 1 teaspoon dry quick-rise yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Whipped cream or Vanilla ice cream, for serving, optional
For the blackberry filling:
In a medium saucepan, combine the blackberries with the sugar, 3 cups of the water and lemon juice. Cook until the berries are soft and a heavy syrup has formed, about 15 minutes.
Add the remaining 1 cup water, the vanilla, and the butter to the syrup in the saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Using a pastry blender, 2 knives, or your fingertips, cut in the 6 tablespoons butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Remove the dumplings from the syrup and place in small bowls. Ladle some of the hot syrup and cooked berries over the top of the dumplings. Serve garnished with a dollop of whipped cream or a small scoop of ice cream.