Maple-Beef Bacon Doughnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted, plus more if needed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or 3/4 cups milk, plus more if needed
- 1/3 cup cooked and minced turkey, beef, pork or chicken bacon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- Oil, for frying
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Maple syrup, for drizzling
Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. Mix together the buttermilk, bacon, butter and egg, and incorporate into the dry ingredients. Stir until smooth; the batter should just hang onto a spoon. If the batter is a bit dry, add a splash of buttermilk. Rest the batter in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before portioning.
On a floured surface with floured palms, portion out the batter using a teaspoon. Roll the portioned dough into little balls, and then drop the batter into hot oil, turning until dark and golden brown on all sides, a few minutes. Remove and drain. Repeat with the remaining dough.