Baccala "Carpaccio" with Herb Salad
- 1 piece dried salt cod, soaked for 48 hours in 3 to 4 changes of water
- 1 bunch thyme, leaves only
- 1 bunch parsley, leaves only
- 1 bunch marjoram, leaves only
- 1 bunch oregano, leaves only
- 1/2 cup oven-roasted tomatoes, recipe follows, cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons real balsamic vinegar
OVEN ROASTED TOMATOES:
- 12 plum tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground pepper
Once the cod has soaked for the requisite time, remove from the water and pat dry. With a very sharp fillet knife, slice the cod into very thin slices and set aside.
In a small, non-reactive bowl, combine the herbs and oven-roasted tomatoes and toss with the lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper, to taste.
Divide the baccala evenly among 4 chilled dinner plates. Top each serving with a mound of the salad, drizzle with best-quality extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.