Braised Forest Mushrooms: Brasato di Funghi
- 2 ounces fatback, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds wild mushrooms, like hen of the woods or porcinis, thickly sliced
- Fine sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 2/3 cup fresh bread crumbs
In a large saute pan, combine the fatback, parsley, garlic, 4 tablespoons olive oil, and pancetta and cook over medium-heat heat to meld the flavors. Add the pepper flakes and continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper, then increase the heat and saute until they have released all juices and juices have evaporated. Add the tomatoes and wine and bring to a simmer.
Partially cover the pan and cook over medium-low heat for 20 to 30 minutes.
In a small saute pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and add the bread crumbs. Toss over high heat until they are browned. Serve the mushrooms with the bread crumbs sprinkled on top.